Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Always Learning, Sharing Ideas, Can't Wait

I was lucky enough to be able to attend ITEC (Iowa Technology Education Connection) Conference for the second time.   Currently I'm in the middle of Day 2 of this amazing conference and as excited as I am to be here, I can't wait to get back to my Postville 5th and 6th graders to get them excited and going on all the new things I have learned.

  mrs.salinas.postville
CC Non-Commerical
mrs.salinas.postville

At my most recent session, I finally got the push and time to set up a class Instagram account.  Follow us!

I have yet to use this as I am not at school to start adding the pictures, but I know that so many of my students are on Instagram, I can't wait for them to start following our feed so they can see themselves and their classmates doing great things! I also hope that I have some parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and family friends that will join in on the Instagram fun!





CC Non-Comercial

Since the beginning of the school year, I have had a class Facebook page set up as well.  It started out pretty small, but over the course of the year as I have added more and more photos of students hard at work on projects, describing projects students are working on, and even linking to student-created assignments to their finished products can be shown publicly, outside of our classroom walls! I have had lots of success with Facebook so far, I am hoping to improve it, and to continue it with Instagram as well.




I spent the very first session in ITEC learning more about Copyright and to be a better digital role model for students.  6th graders recently developed presentations about Copyright Law, Consequences, and Examples which they shared with our 5th grade students.  After my very first session of ITEC, I knew I had to go back and tell them more.  6th grade focused on music, videos and illegal downloads, but I now see how we also need to address images and even projects they are assigned to do for classes.

In another session I learned some new and great ways to get kids blogs to be more public and have yet another outlet for parents to connect to what their students are doing in the classroom.  I originally thought that Blogger was too much for my 5th/6th graders, but after being shown some great ways they can share posts to Blogger just through email, it's just one more way to break down our classroom walls and get students to see the importance of their work outside of school.

ITEC was a success for me this year, and I am only part-way through the 2nd day.  I can't wait to see what else I learn from this conference and come back to share this with my students.  The best part of that is, then they will be able to share what they can do with their parents, and other teachers at our school and other schools.


No comments:

Post a Comment